Tiger mom, ready?

I have a few rules (I don't like this word, maybe I should call it as guide) which I apply in my parenting. Obviously different from my husband. Hehe. Oh well, I am not here to compare his way of parenting to mine, even though I could feel he's cool just like my dad (at times, haha). 

A few points to share:
  • Always listen to your child attentively, like whom they talked to in school, which friend is funny, annoying, all these. Kids often share their mind and this is how your build your trust with them.
  • Make time for your kids but we tend to make mistakes by making sure they understand our timetable. Trust me, it doesn't work that way. With Arissa, I notice she's calmer when she's doing her worksheets while I recite the Quran or doing some reading. I would also allocate some time to sit and join her for pretend play during her time out.
  • Set a goal - say, I would sometime set a goal that she must understand fraction by end of this month. Drop the conventional way! For example, I used pizza slices (from her kitchen or you can always use real life pizza when you ordered in). I found this way to be more effective and they understand it way better. Create a chart and let them write how many slices have they eaten (using fraction). I'll share this. :)
  • Be silly - don't worry to be silly with them. Dance to her favorite song. Dance and clap whenever they sing or perform something for you. Ask them who's their favorite singer. 
  • Never say NO or WRONG. But guide them and say, this is right but it would be better if we do it this way. Example, we know there's no blue horse, you can say, how I wished there's blue horse in real life. Create a conversation and tell them what are the colors of horses. Do not overlap their horse's color with the actual color. Don't fix it. Let them learn. Okay? So what if their circle is distorted, or their square looks like Spongebob. 
  • Create a fun learning environment - I used bubbles (while showering her) from the foam and started writing with our finger on the bathroom wall. I'll share this more - it worked for a 2 year old children and even a 6 year old! 
  • Be honest - tell them when you're upset with them. Praise them whenever they achieve something too. Not only in school. 
  • Tell them that you know they can do it. Always. That's the main key. 
Activity sheet (age recommendation: 3-5 years old)




Comments